Skip to main content

Reversal of Fortune for Big Winner Perosh - UFC 163 Prelim Results

Read on for UFC 163 prelim results...

A year ago, Australian light heavyweight Anthony Perosh was on the receiving end of a seven second knockout loss to Ryan Jimmo. In his first fight back Saturday night, it was another quick one, only this time the 40-year-old was the one doing the damage in the UFC 163 prelim bout, knocking out Vinny Magalhaes in 14 seconds at the HSBC Arena in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.

As the two engaged to start the bout, Magalhaes walked into a right hand and fell to the canvas. Perosh pounced and fired off a series of unanswered blows, with referee Mario Yamasaki waving things off 14 seconds in, giving Perosh his 14th win against seven losses. Magalhaes, fighting for the first time in his native Rio, falls to 11-7 with 1 NC.

Check out Anthony Perosh's post-fight interview.


Brazil’s Amanda Nunes had a UFC debut to remember, stopping Germany’s Sheila Gaff with a fierce ground and pound attack that ended matters in the opening round.

After a furious exchange to start the bout, Gaff almost caught Nunes as the two bantamweights went to the mat, and after a brief return to the feet, it was back to the ground, this time with Nunes on top in side control and then the mount. Gaff powered back to her feet, only briefly though, as Nunes put her foe on her back again and unleashed strikes until referee Herb Dean halted the bout. The official time was 2:08.

Nunes ups her record to 8-3 with the win; Gaff falls to 10-6-1 and has been stopped in both of her UFC outings.

Check out Amanda Nunes' post-fight interview.


Ultimate Fighter Brazil season one finalist Sergio Moraes earned his second consecutive UFC win in a welterweight bout, submitting TUF 16 competitor Neil Magny in the first round.

Magny (8-3) kept his distance behind a quick jab and the occasional right hand, and Curitiba’s Moraes (8-3) was willing to go along with a standup fight despite his decided edge on the mat. That lasted until the second minute, when he sought and got his first takedown. From there, it was all Moraes, as he sunk in a triangle choke, tightened it after a series of elbows, and produced the tap out at the 3:13 mark.

Check out Sergio Moraes' post-fight interview.


At long last, Ian McCall made it into the UFC win column in his fourth try, decisioning Iliarde Santos in flyweight action.

Scores were 30-27 twice and 29-28 for McCall, who was 0-2-1 against Demetrious Johnson (twice) and Joseph Benavidez in his first three Octagon bouts.

McCall’s striking was sharp as he darted in and out on Belem’s Santos. With less than two minutes gone, McCall (12-4-1) tagged his foe with two flush left hooks, jarring the Brazilian, who soon looked for a takedown. McCall tossed it off and was able to get on top as the bout strayed to the mat, firing off with both fists before the two rose again, and while McCall got back to business on the feet, Santos was able to score with a couple big shots before the end of the round.

“Uncle Creepy” continued to impress in round two, as he mixed up his strikes between punches and kicks both upstairs and down. Santos (27-8-1) wouldn’t go away though, and he made McCall pay for dropping his hands on several occasions, the effects showing on the Californian’s face. But the volume of shots being thrown by McCall were putting him ahead in the fight, and despite the amount of movement he was doing, he was able to keep up the pace for much of the third round, avoiding Santos’ power shots enough to secure a much needed victory.

Check out Ian McCall's post-fight interview.


Brazilian featherweight Rani Yahya made it three straight wins, outpointing Josh Clopton via identical scores of 29-28.

After feeling each other out in the opening minute, Yahya made his move for the takedown and he got it, immediately putting Clopton in trouble on the mat. Clopton stayed cool under pressure, but Yahya kept moving, looking for the right position to strike from. With less than 90 seconds left, Yahya got into full mount, and despite a quick escape by Clopton, he regained the position in the final 30 seconds, wrapping up a dominant opening round.

Yahya got another takedown a minute into the second frame, and from there, it was just a dominant ground clinic, as the Brasilia native kept Clopton under wraps for the rest of the round, even if he couldn’t finish him.

In the third, Clopton was able to stay upright a bit more than he had in the previous two rounds, making a brief surge against his tiring foe, but the judges’ decision in Yahya’s favor was still a mere formality when the bell rounded.

With the win, Yahya improves to 19-7; Clopton falls to 6-2-1.

Check out Rani Yahya's post-fight interview.


Injury replacement Francimar Barroso made the most of his late notice call to the Octagon, outpointing Ednaldo Oliveira unanimously over three rounds.

Scores were 30-27 twice and 29-28 for Barroso, now 16-3; Oliveira, making his light heavyweight debut, falls to 13-2-1 with 1 NC.

Barroso came out with two head kicks, trying to make an early night for himself, but the 6-5 Oliveira’s chin was a bridge too far. From there, the Rio product tried to close the distance, but Oliveira was able to use his range well to stay out of trouble. As far as his offense went, Oliveira’s attacks were raw, sloppy, and generally ineffective, with Barroso countering well with low kicks.

The pattern continued in the opening minute of round two, but after an Oliveira takedown, the Salvador fighter was able to land with a series of ground strikes, his most effective offensive string thus far. Surprisingly, Oliveira let Barroso up, which led to Barroso nearly getting a takedown of his own. Oliveira defended well though, and he was able to lock his foe up until referee Leon Roberts restarted the action. In ensuing action, Barroso scored with two solid right hands as he started to let his hands go more freely, and these strikes set up a takedown in the final minute.

The fight went to the mat immediately in round three, but the two rose just as fast, locking up against the fence. Barroso did get another takedown two minutes in, as he looked to pile up the points on the scorecards. The action stalled from there, with fatigue definitely rearing its head for both men as the clock ticked down to the final horn.

Check out Francimar Barroso's post-fight interview.


Jiu-Jitsu black belt Viscardi Andrade let his striking do the talking in the welterweight opener, with the TUF Brazil 2 cast member from Sao Paulo knocking out Bristol Marunde in just 96 seconds.

As the bout opened, every move Andrade (15-6) made earned a roar from the crowd, and a minute in a right hand dropped Marunde (12-9). The American seemed to get his bearings back, but only briefly, as he rose and got sent to the mat again by a left. This time, Marunde’s follow up attack brought a halt to the bout by referee Mario Yamasaki at 1:36 of the opening round.

Check out Viscardi Andrade's post-fight interview.