Hall Of Fame
LAS VEGAS, NV – UFC® today announced the launch of its month-long celebration of Hispanic Heritage Month. UFC will commemorate Hispanic Heritage Month (Sept 15 – Oct 15) by acknowledging UFC athletes and fans that represent U.S. Hispanic and Latin American communities, as well as other Spanish-speaking countries around the world. UFC will also celebrate Hispanic and Latino culture and how it has played a significant role in UFC, MMA, and combat sports overall.
During Hispanic Heritage Month, UFC will highlight the personal stories of Hispanic and Latino fighters, past and present, and their impact on UFC through its “One Voice, Many Stories” campaign.
UFC will also offer specially themed apparel, which is now available for pre-order at UFCStore.com. This apparel will also be available during UFC activations as part of the 9th Annual UFC International Fight Week, which takes place from Tuesday, September 22, through Saturday, September 25.
In addition, numerous UFC athletes of Hispanic and Latino Heritage will compete during Hispanic Heritage Month, including UFC featherweight Brian Ortega; former Strikeforce and WEC welterweight champion Nick Diaz; strawweight Cynthia Calvillo; middleweight Julian Marquez; and featherweight Omar Morales.
Ortega will face UFC featherweight champion Alexander Volkanovski in the main event of UFC 266: VOLKANOVSKI vs. ORTEGA, which takes place on Saturday, September 25, at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas.
As part of the week-long celebration, UFC will also host a discussion panel during the Fan Experience on Friday, September 24, at 1 p.m. Hosted by Victor Davila, the panel will take place in The Park outside of T-Mobile Arena, and will feature UFC flyweight champion Brandon Moreno, bantamweight Marlon ‘Chito’ Vera, and bantamweight Julianna Pena.
Other athletes who will compete in UFC events during Hispanic Heritage Month include: bantamweights Gustavo Lopez and Alejandro Perez; flyweight Sabina Mazo; lightweight Alexander Hernandez; strawweight Loopy Godinez; and light heavyweight Mike Rodriguez.
UFC will also feature commemorate Hispanic Heritage Month with special branding during its telecasts (“UFC Celebrates HHM”), as well as with athlete features and vignettes.
In addition, in partnership with ESPN, a UFC-produced two-part special featuring some of the biggest Latino names in MMA will be showcased as part of ESPN’s Hispanic Heritage Month-themed programming.
The first episode, UFC Ultimate Knockouts: Hispanic Heritage Month – Legends airs on Thursday, September 23, on ESPN2 and ESPN Deportes.
- UFC Ultimate Knockouts: Hispanic Heritage Month – Legends:
- UFC Ultimate Knockouts celebrates Hispanic Heritage Month by looking back at the Hispanic and Latino athletes that have made an indelible impact in UFC. See Nick Diaz, Joseph Benavidez, Cain Velasquez, and more.
- UFC Ultimate Knockouts: Hispanic Heritage Month – Best of 2020 and 2021:
- UFC Ultimate Knockouts continues its celebration of Hispanic and Latin heritage by bringing you a collection of the best knockouts from 2020 and 2021. See Cub Swanson, Julia Avila, Irene Aldana, Charles Oliveira, and more.
UFC FIGHT PASS will also showcase Hispanic and Latino athletes as part of its “UFC FIGHT PASS Fighter of the Day” beginning on Wednesday, September 15. Featured athletes include:
- Wednesday, September 15: Brandon Moreno
- Friday, September 17: Alexa Grasso
- Monday, September 20: Brian Ortega
- Wednesday, September 22: Cynthia Calvillo
- Thursday, September 23: Julianna Pena
- Friday, September 24: Nick Diaz
- Monday, September 27: Jorge Masvidal
- Tuesday, September 28: Vicente Luque
- Wednesday, September 29: Tracey Cortez
- Friday, October 1: Marlon Vera
- Monday, October 4: Kelvin Gastelum
- Tuesday, October 5: Santiago Ponzinibbio
- Wednesday, October 6: Irene Aldana
- Friday, October 8: Sabina Mazo
- Monday, October 11: Yair Rodriguez
- Wednesday, October 13: Nate Diaz
- Friday, October 15: Julian Marquez
To watch the career highlights and best moments from the athletes featured above, go to UFCFightPass.com.