Skip to main content

UFC 140 Main Card Results - Two for Two - Mir Submits Minotauro in Rematch

Click below for the UFC 140 main card report....

TORONTO, December 10 – For a few moments, it looked like Antonio Rodrigo “Minotauro” Nogueira was going to get even for his 2008 loss to Frank Mir in their long-awaited rematch at the Air Canada Centre Saturday night. But it was Mir who once again defeated the former PRIDE and UFC heavyweight champion in their UFC 140 co-main event, shaking off some hard punches and a submission attempt to submit the Brazilian star in the first round. See post-fight interview

“I’m the first person to knock him out and now the first person to submit him,” said Mir.

After some crisp standup by Nogueira to open up the bout, the two engaged in a war of nerves against the fence, as they traded positions for a spell. Mir was able to score a takedown, but only kept the bout on the mat briefly. With 2:15 remaining, Nogueira rocked and dropped Mir, and it looked like the end was near as Nogueira tried to lock in a choke. But remarkably, Mir escaped, and in the ensuing scramble, he locked in a kimura. As the two rolled, Mir yanked Nogueira’s arm and popped it, forcing a tap out at the 3:38 mark.

With the win, Mir, a former two-time UFC heavyweight champion, improves to 16-5; Nogueira, whose arm was treated by Octagonside physicians for several minutes after the bout, falls to 33-7-1 with 1 NC.

Mir’s first win over Nogueira came via second round TKO at UFC 92 in December of 2008.


Competing in the UFC Octagon for the record 26th time, breaking a mark he held with Hall of Famer Matt Hughes, former light heavyweight champion Tito Ortiz wasn’t able to make his special night a victorious one, as he was stopped in a single round by perennial contender Antonio Rogerio Nogueira.

“I feel so great, it’s like a dream come true,” said Nogueira, who broke a two fight losing streak in improving to 20-5. “Tito Ortiz is a legend of the sport.”

Ortiz held his own in early exchanges with Nogueira, but “Lil’ Nog” was just as successful keeping himself from being taken down. Nearly 90 seconds into the bout a left from Nogueira hurt Ortiz, and then a follow-up knee to the body dropped him. Ortiz cleared his head, but Nogueira began unleashing a series of hard shots from all angles. Finally, the ferocious barrage had Ortiz wincing in pain from body shots, forcing referee Yves Lavigne to step in and stop the fight at 3:15 of the round.

“He hurt me,” admitted Ortiz, now 17-10-1. “Every time he hit me, I felt the wind go out of me. I came in here and gave it my all. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.”

As far as retirement goes, the 36-year old Ortiz plans to take some time off before discussing the possibility of fulfilling the final fight of his UFC contract.


A series of submission attempts from Toronto’s own Claude Patrick weren’t enough to sway the judges in his welterweight bout against Brian Ebersole, as the Australia-based “Bad Boy” pulled off an unpopular three round split decision win. See post-fight interview

Scores were 29-28 twice and 28-29 for Ebersole, who improves to 49-14-1 with 1 NC. Patrick falls to 14-2.

A stalemate in the early stages of the opening round was broken by a Patrick guillotine choke attempt near the midway point of the round, but Ebersole was able to escape and get back to his feet. Two brief exchanges followed before Ebersole bulled his opponent to the fence, with Patrick turning the tables just before the bell sounded.

Patrick tried to put his foot on the gas in round two, but Ebersole wasn’t playing along, opting instead to try to control the Canadian at close range. When Patrick did break free though, he was doing the bulk of the scoring.

Ebersole scored a takedown to start round three, but now it was Patrick slowing things down in order to force a restart. He eventually got back to his feet twice, only to get brought back down to the mat both times. The third time Patrick rose, he almost secured a couple submissions, but Ebersole escaped. Not content, Patrick nearly nailed another sub, but it was not to be, and the bell intervened moments later.


Featherweight Chan Sung Jung got the main card rocking immediately, tying Todd Duffee for the fastest knockout in UFC history by finishing Mark Hominick in seven seconds. See post-fight interview

“I was just lucky,” said the humble “Korean Zombie,” who improves to 12-3.

“I came out a little too wild,” said the classy Hominick, now 20-10. “I don’t fight that reckless. But I just wanted to get it done.” See post-fight interview with Hominick

After a quick touch of gloves, Hominick went on the offensive, but after missing a wide left hook, Jung fired back with a vicious right hand that dropped the Canadian. A barrage of shots followed, and referee Herb Dean halted the bout, a call the fans of the Ontario native didn’t particularly care for.

Jung’s win matches Duffee’s UFC 102 finish of Tim Hague in August of 2009.