Skip to main content

Cormier keeps belt, submits Rumble at UFC 210

Read on for UFC 210 main event results...

Daniel Cormier celebrates his rear choke submission victory over Anthony Johnson in their UFC light heavyweight championship bout during the UFC 210 event at KeyBank Center on April 8, 2017 in Buffalo, New York. (Photo by Josh Hedges/Zuffa LLC/Zuffa LLC via Getty Images)" align="center" />

It was a repeat result for Daniel Cormier in his UFC 210 rematch with Anthony “Rumble” Johnson Saturday night, as he defeated the No. 1-ranked contender via rear naked choke submission to retain his UFC light heavyweight title for the second time at KeyBank Center in Buffalo.

Following the bout, the 33-year-old Johnson shocked the crowd by announcing his retirement.

“I have no excuses,” said Johnson, who was submitted by Cormier in 2015. “I lost again to the better man. This was my last fight. It’s time for me to move on to something else.”

It was a memorable career for Rumble, but the night still belonged to the champion, who had two potential challengers in the crowd Saturday, including former champion Jon Jones and British banger Jimi Manuwa. But the first order of business was beating Johnson, and Cormier did it in workmanlike manner.
Anthony Johnson announced his retirement to the crowd in Buffalo after losing to Daniel Cormier at UFC 210

“We were okay giving up the first round,” San Jose’s Cormier said. “I knew as we went on, I would eventually get to him.”

Johnson got right after Cormier as the bout began, firing off kicks at the champion. Cormier fired back with a big overhand right, but wasn’t able to hit the button. In response, Johnson locked up with Cormier against the fence, and that was just fine with the two-time Olympic wrestler, who looked to wear the challenger down. With two minutes left, Cormier took control at close range, but with a minute left, referee John McCarthy restarted the action. As it resumed, Johnson scored with a hard kick but then the two locked up again, remaining against the fence until the horn.

Between rounds, it was clear that Cormier’s nose was injured, and as round two opened, Johnson went back on the attack. This time, Cormier initiated the clinch and bulled Johnson to the fence, but it was Johnson who got the first takedown. Cormier jumped right back up and got a takedown of his own, taking Johnson’s back in the process. Johnson got out of immediate danger, but Cormier kept the pressure on with ground strikes before sinking in the rear naked choke that produced a tap out at 3:37 of the second round.

With the win, the 38-year-old Cormier improves to 19-1; Johnson falls to 22-6.