Since the first UFC Heavyweight Championship bout at UFC 12, fifteen different men have worn the sport's most illustrious belt.
6. Randy Couture – (2000-2002) Returns to the UFC and regains his title by defeating Randleman at UFC 28 (11/17/00). He defends the title twice against Pedro Rizzo.
9. Tim Sylvia (2003) – stops Rodriguez at UFC 41 (2/28/03) to become champion (watch). Sylvia successfully defends his title against Gan McGee at UFC 44, but then relinquishes his crown after testing positive for steroids.
10. Frank Mir (2004-05) – defeats Sylvia for the vacant title at UFC 48 (6/19/04) (watch). Mir is seriously injured in a motorcycle accident and forced to give up his belt while he rehabilitated his injuries.
11. Andrei Arlovski (2005-06) – defeats Tim Sylvia in the first round at UFC 51 (2/5/05) to claim the interim title, which is later upgraded to the full championship. Arlovski defends the title twice, against Justin Eilers and Paul Buentello.
12. Tim Sylvia (2006-07) – becomes only the second man to regain the heavyweight championship when he knocks out Arlovski at UFC 59 (4/15/06). Sylvia defends the title against Arlovski and Jeff Monson.
13. Randy Couture (2007-08) – becomes the first man to heavyweight title three times when he decisions Sylvia over five rounds at UFC 68 (3/3/07) (watch). Couture defends title against Gabriel Gonzaga. After a period of inactivity, Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira and Tim Sylvia were selected to fight for the interim title. Couture subsequently returned to active status in November of 2008.
16. Brock Lesnar (2008-2010) – defeats Randy Couture via TKO in the second round at UFC 91 (11/15/08) to win the UFC heavyweight title (watch). Defeated Mir via 2nd round TKO at UFC 100 to unify UFC heavyweight title. On hiatus due to illness, returned in July of 2010 to defeat Carwin via 2nd round submission at UFC 116. Lost to Cain Velasquez at UFC 121.
18. Cain Velasquez (2010-11) – defeats Brock Lesnar via TKO in the first round at UFC 121 (10/23/10) (watch) to win the UFC heavyweight title. Lost to Junior dos Santos at UFC on FOX 1.
19. Junior dos Santos (2011-12) – defeats Cain Velasquez via KO in the first round at UFC on FOX 1 (watch) (11/12/11) to win the UFC heavyweight title. Defended title against Frank Mir at UFC 146 (watch). Lost title to Cain Velasquez at UFC 155
20. Cain Velasquez (2012 - ) – defeats Junior dos Santos via five round unanimous decision at UFC 155 (watch) (12/29/12) to regain the heavyweight title. Defended title against Antonio 'Bigfoot' Silva at UFC 160 (watch).