Stats & Records
Wins by Knockout
Wins by Submission
- Sig. Strikes Landed
- Sig. Strikes Attempted
- Sig. Str. Defense is the percentage of significant strikes attempted against a fighter that do not land.
- Takedown defense is the percentage of takedowns attempted against a fighter that do not land.
- Knockdown Avg. is the average number of knockdowns per 15 Minutes window.
Sig. Str. By Position
Sig. Str. by target
Win by Method
- Pro since 2012
- One win by KO, three by submission (2 RNC, triangle)
- Two first-round finishes
- Owns 2013 submission win over UFC welterweight contender Geoff Neal
- Longtime member of the Nick Diaz Academy
- Origin of nickname – “It originated in the gym, training with the ‘fight like a Spartan; to the end,’ mentality.”
UFC 266 (9/25/21) Sano was knocked out by Matthew Semelsberger at 0:15 of the first round
When and why did you start training for fighting? I have been training and fighting for the last 15 years. I initially got into martial arts at the age of five.
What ranks and titles have you held? I held 170lbs & 185lbs titles in amateur competition.
Do you have any heroes? My dad is my hero.
What does it mean for you to fight in the UFC? The opportunity to fight in the UFC places me amongst some of the best in the world while allowing me to both display and test my skillset and challenge myself.
Did you go to college and if so what degree did you earn? No
Specific accomplishments in amateur competition? Two-time 915MMA champion and Finish the Fight (FTF) MMA champion
Specific accomplishments in pro competition? Legacy FC - Finish the Fight Award
Favorite grappling technique: Rear naked choke
Favorite Striking technique: Head kick