|Summary:||Dangerous striker, good grappler|
|From:||Minsk, Belarus Russia|
|Fights Out Of:||Chicago, IL USA|
|Height:||6' 4" ( 193 cm )|
|Weight:||240 lb ( 109 kg )|
UFC Minute host runs down all the need-to-know news for today, Thursday, February 19, including Robbie Lawler's first title defense, and the stacked card heading to Vegas for Memorial Day weekend.Feb 19, 2015 1:34
Hear from former UFC heavyweight champion Andrei Arlovski after his huge KO victory over Bigfoot Silva at Fight Night Brasilia.Sep 13, 2014 3:12
UFC Fight Night event inside Nilson Nelson Gymnasium on September 13, 2014 in Brasilia, Brazil. (Photos by Josh Hedges/Zuffa LLC/Zuffa LLC via Getty Images)Sep 13, 2014
Sep 12, 2014
TRAINING: Hard work daily in all areas of MMA
When and why did you start training for fighting? Andrei did not begin his martial arts training until he was 18. He was a soccer goalie until age 14 when he gave it up to concentrate on personal fitness. Later, he enrolled in the police academy where one of the required classes was Sambo. He showed great potential and was offered training on a more serious scale for competition. In 1999, after only a year of training, Andrei became a Champion of the European Youth SAMBO Championship as well as a Champion of the World Youth SAMBO Championship. Also 1999 Andrei got the second place (silver medal) at the SAMBO World Cup and the second place at the World SAMBO Championship. He became first Master of Sport, and then International Master of Sport. After winning the Sambo championships, he started competing in mixed martial arts and won the European Mixed Fighting championship.
What ranks and titles have you held? Former UFC World Heavyweight Champion, European Mixed Fighting champion, multiple SAMBO championships.
Do you have any heroes? I am grateful to all of the masters I have trained with.
What is your favorite technique? Combining both striking and wrestling.
What does it mean for you to fight in the UFC? It gets my adrenaline pumping.
Did you go to college and if so what degree did you earn? I graduated from the Police Academy.
What was your job before you started fighting? Police officer.
• Pro since 1999
• 16 wins by KO, three by submission
• 12 first round finishes
• Bout with Schaub was Arlovski’s first UFC fight since March 1, 2008 (TKO2 Jake O’Brien)
• Unbeaten in eight of his last nine fights (7-1, 1 NC) – has won three straight
• Since last UFC appearance, knocked out Ben Rothwell and Roy Nelson (only fighter to finish Nelson)
• Was UFC heavyweight champion from 2005 to 2006
• 11-4 UFC record. Has won his last four UFC fights (Schaub, Marcio Cruz, Fabricio Werdum, Jake O’Brien)
• Had four-fight post-UFC losing streak from 2009-2011, losing to Fedor Emelianenko, Brett Rogers, Antonio Silva, and Sergei Kharitonov. Has gotten back on track. Only loss since then has been against Anthony Johnson via decision in March of 2013
• Still one of the most dangerous and respected heavyweights in the game